Thursday, September 10, 2009

Welcome to OBG!

With that lengthily introduction complete, I'd now love to formally welcome you to the Orange, Black and Gold blog- which will hereby more affectionately be known as OBG. This concept of this blog has been forming in my mind ever since that painful Game 6 experience I had, but it was lacking one thing- a name. A number of sub-par names had been floating around my mind, but each had major shortfallings:
  • Behind Enemy Lines- Sounds like I'm a spy (although if I was, I probably wouldn't tell you)
  • Keystone Clash- Already overused by the media
  • Orange Crushed- Sounds overwhelmingly negative
  • %!*@# the Penguins- Probably wouldn't show up too often in search engines
  • Orange and Black in a Sea of Black and Gold- I'd like to be able to tell people about my blog without fainting
Brainstorming the last one brought me to the ingenious conclusion that the Flyers and Penguins have a color in common- black. At first, the idea of mixing the two teams colors together repulsed me a bit. However, it is actually quite appropriate- Pittsburgh is notorious for turning its college students into Penguins, Steelers, and Pirates fans. Thus, my time in Pittsburgh would be a struggle to maintain my own athletic allegiances in a time when my teams were being trumped by those of the Steel City. In addition, it made me realize the only thing separating the Flyers colors from the Penguins colors is a bit of red- if you take the Penguins' "gold" as the yellow it really looks like, adding red to it gives you orange. This is quite appropriate due to the Flyers' fans notorious bloodthirstiness.

So, in short, the name stuck. Unfortunately, the domain name http://obg.blogspot.com/ was taken by some guy who took five minutes creating a white-and-black blog with a single, two-word post, so OBG will have to resort to the less-glamorous domain name http://orangeblackgold.blogspot.com/. Over the next few weeks I'll be running a number of features, which will hopefully quench the thirst of Flyers fans, Penguins fans, and neutral fans of the Pennsylvania Cold War alike, until the season finally begins in October. At that point, it'll be time to start the lead-up to the first meeting between these two powerhouses on October 8th in Philadelphia.

So sit back, and enjoy the ride (despite the many bumps it is sure to bring). Check back often over the next few weeks, as we'll be counting down the Top 10 Most Painful Moments in the Flyers-Penguins rivalry over the past couple years. It's all part of our "Faceoff Spectacular"...

Well, again, welcome to OBG, and I hope to see you back soon!

P.S.: If you need something to tide you over, enjoy this colorful image of the Flyers' Randy Jones and the Penguins' Evgeni Malkin:

No comments:

Post a Comment